Sushi!!! I adore sushi, and crave for it almost all the time! I’ve learnt how to make sushi while working at YO! Sushi as a chef. Was a great experience, especially getting to talk to customers who’d sitting in front of the belt.
I decided to show you guys how to roll a California roll, that’s avocado and crab stick filling, wrapped in nori with the rice on the outside. These are very healthy and does a great job in filling up your lunch boxes!
What you’d need:
- Bamboo mat
- Rice cooker
- Cling film
Sushi Rice Ingredients:
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 4 halved nori sheets
- 20 crab sticks
- 1 avacado
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- soy sauce and wasabi to serve with
- Rince the rice with water a couple of times until the water becomes less cloudy. Remove excessive water.
- Add the 2 cups of water and place in the rice cooker.
- While the rice is cooking, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and mirin together and mix well.
- Let the rice sit in the rice cooker for at-least 10 minutes before removing.
- Add in the vinegar mixture and stir gently and carefully but thoroughly.
- Let this cool a bit, but best to handle it whilst still warm.
- Take half of a nori sheet and place it on the bamboo mat. With a pair of wet hands, take a handful of rice and place it in the middle of the nori. Using the fingers to spread around the sheet, leaving 2cm of nori free at the top horizon, and spreading rice 1cm overlapping at the bottom half of the nori sheet.
- Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top of the rice. Then flip the nori and sushi so that the overlapped rice is now on the top.
- Place 4 crab sticks, 2 by 2 on the middle of the nori sheet, and take one crab stick cut it in half and place it at the end (as usually 2 length ways crab stick is not enough to fill the nori).
- Spread some mayonaise on top of the crab sticks and add slices of avacado on top.
- Bringing the nori to the edge of the mat towards you. lift up the bottom edge of the nori by bringing up the matand covering the fillings. Once it’s covered give it a little squeeze and lift just the mat and start to roll and squeeze. (Don’t squeeze too tightly as this will squeeze the filling out)
- Once you’ve reached the end shape it with the mat as necessary. Repeat until all ingreadients are gone.
- Cut the sushi in to 8 portions, with a clean sharp knife. I recommend you to wipe your knife clean and dip it in water in every cut.
- Serve this with wasabi and soy sauce!
- Creamy custard buns (Using the Tang Zhong starter method)
- Matcha red bean buns (Using the Tang Zhong starter method)
- Individual Victorian Sponge cakes